FMLY has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
theFMLY.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Tapes 'N Tapes at Virgin, Review


Tapes 'N Tapes has always been a band that I've enjoyed but have never become passionate over. Sure they have great tunes like "Insistor," "Beach Girls" and "In Houston," but during the time that they were becoming a prominent band in the indie community I was chillin' with Night Ripper (Illegal Art) and Classics (XL) on my iPod not leaving much room for the formulaic verse chorus verse band. I did catch Tapes 'N Tapes at Coachella '07 and it was a good performance, I had a good time with their songs and with my friends but last night, although a good show, just didn't do it for me. Yes, it was a free show in a Virgin store with an audience that wasn't very enthusiastic and daylight was overwhelming the room, but I was expecting some kick ass shit!

Tapes played a good portion of their new album, Walk It Off (XL), which I have not yet become familiar with. The songs seemed well done but none of them really sparked enough interest for me to buy their album, they were all very much what you would expect from a new Tapes album - which is both good and bad. They played a strong set, and I do have the compliment the drummer for being so fashionable and having so much fun, but I would have liked more audience interaction considering that was their album release show. I guess that I really went hoping to hear some songs off of The Loon and was left with songs that I did not recognize except for the closer, "Hang Them All." As a review in a nutshell, if you're a real fan see them, if you're just into them then check out their album first - I'm gonna give it a shot, maybe it just needs to grow. As of right now my opinion is that music has grown since we saw The Loon, but Tapes collected their $200 before passing Go. Remember, this is a preliminary review, I have only seen a portion of the new album live and have not heard it in its entirety. If you have, please let FMLY know what you think. I'll let you know what P4k thinks.

Tapes 'N Tapes - Hang Them All

Labels: , , , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]