FMLY has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
theFMLY.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Funk It Up


When I was growing up my dad always told me that at a party if you put on some funk, everybody is happy. I've always remembered this advice and it's always worked for me. If people aren't digging the music you are playing, throw on some James Brown and everyone will dance. I've often wondered though why there aren't a ton of funk bands now. Everyone loves it and it's fun to play. Sure I have my undying love for Erykah Badu but where is my LA funk! Finally, a couple weeks ago, I found my LA based funk fix through Itai Shapira of The Elevaters who also happens to be one of the founding members of the band. Babystone is the creation of Itai Shapira and Novena Carmel who is the daughter of funk legend Sly Stone. Apparently funk is hereditary because Novena Carmel has got the funk. With a tight band full of pushing horns, slapping bass, beautiful vocals, and soul filled drumming I can only hope that Babystone is the start of a new funky revolution.

You can catch Babystone tomorrow night at the Mint

Ask Me feat. Sly Stone - Babystone

Labels: , , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]