FMLY has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
theFMLY.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Favorite Songs of 2008



Noah's Favorite 46 Tracks of 2008:
46. Vampire Weekend - Walcott
45. Riskay - Smell Yo Dick (Solly Stanker Pecker edit)
44. Throw Me The Statue - About to Walk
43. Sebastien Tellier - Divine
42. Totally Michael - Casual Satisfaction
41. Usher - Love In This Club
40. Thee Oh Sees - Ghost In The Trees
39. WOMEN - Black Rice
38. Rafter - I Love You Most of All
37. Murs & 9th Wonder - The Intro
Feel good hip-hop from my man Murs. Mm mm good.
36. TV on the Radio - Dancing Choose
35. Syclops - Nelson's Back
34. No Age - Teen Creeps
Sleeper Hold should be here as well.
33. Japanther - Dirge
32. Cut Copy - Hearts on Fire
31. Daedelus - Fair Weather Friends
30. The Octopus Project - Ghost Moves
29. Ratatat - Black Heroes
28. Tape - Moth Wings
27. Department of Eagles - Herring Bone
26. The Field - Night
The best fifteen minute musical experience one can ever hope for.
25. Lucky Dragons - Givers
24. Noah23 - Elephant March
Breakdown at the end.
23. cloud. - How It Is
22. Ninjasonik - Art School Girls
21. The Octopus Project - Truck
Now that I think about it this is definitely in the top5 and Ghost Moves should go here, but it's too late to renumber all of these.

20. Grizzly Bear - Two Weeks
Helps me pass the time in airports, can't wait for a legit recording and new album.
19. Grouper - Heavy Water / I'd Rather Be Sleeping

18. The Histories - The Lifespan of House Flies (feat Reid)
I don't think this is supposed to be marked as The Histories, but it makes it easier in my iTunes searching. Maxwell and Reid, unsurprisingly, are an excellent combination.
17. Banjo or Freakout - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa (Vampire Weekend cover)
Abstract pop is the way to my heart
16. Beach House - Wedding Bell
15. Santogold - LES Artistes (XXXChange Remix)
I drove everyone crazy with this one
14. Meals for Children - Frozen Blood
13. Animal Collective - Seal Eyeing
12. Ponytail - Celebrate the Body Electric (It Came From an Angel)
I love you too.
11. Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook
Oh, Animal Collective.
10. Beach House - Heart of Chambers
09. Cut Copy - Feel the Love
FMLY Jex Sams, Vol. 1
08. Air France - Collapsing at Your Doorstep
07. Ninjasonik - Negative Thinking (About Tight Pants) 3
"Bitches wanna keep me in the sack like a quarterbag." Need I say more?
06. Animal Collective - Water Curses

05. Beach House - D.A.R.L.I.N.G.
I am in love
04. Nephews - Positive Stack
The Positive Stack recording that I'm referring to is when Nephews played live on FMLY radio. One of the best shows ever.
03. Why? - Simeon's Dilemma
I'm in awe when it comes to Alopecia, but Simeon's Dilemma has just always stood out for me. The second half of the song puts me on air, I could not even count have many times I've biked around the city listening to the final verse. If you listen closely to this video you can hear Cameron singing.

02. Animal Collective - Brother Sport
Brother Sport has been on concert rotation since '07, but not until this year was it fine-tuned. I'm not talking about Brothersport, I'm talking about Brother Sport, the live version. Amazing, inspiring, all I want.
01. Unicorn Dream Attack - b34t1ful 3y3s
UDC came out of left field this year as I had never heard of the Chi-town resident until recently at the Blip Fest. His live set and recordings have all blown me away, but this track has stood out becoming my most listened to track of the year in a matter of a few weeks.


While it has been a thriving year for independent music some songs have stuck out to me personally more than others. Whether it be my musical background, what my friends were listening to or what just put me in the right groove, here are my favorite songs of 2008. Keep in mind that this is by memory and a handwritten list, so I'm absolutely positive that I have left songs off that I meant to put on. There were also an assortment of artists whose music I've collected over the year with no reference as to when the tunes were released. I'd like to give recognition to those artists because they truly deserve to be on this list and were on every mixtape I made for a friend: Uggamugga, Best Friends Forever, Your Heart Breaks, Pieces of Piece, LA Beard Club, Wingnut Dishwasher's Union, Paul Baribeau and others that I'll just write posts on later. My '08 favorites will be posted before Santa makes his way down your chimney.

As far as '09, I'm really looking forward to the new Grizzly Bear, Animal Collective and Beirut material. What were your favorite songs of the year?

edit: I completely forgot to add Deerhunter and Hot Chip. I guess next time around, but I've gotta give mad props to "Nothing Ever Happened" and "One Pure Thought." They would surely be in my top 10. Also, Panda Bear's remix of the Notwist's "Boneless" should be in there.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]